Download the interview, or listen here:
Optimove – Entice Your Customers
Optimove is a retention marketing service, which is using data mining to get better marketing results for its customers. Their aim is to make customers come back and use a services time and time again by adjusting the right campaigns to each customer.Pini studied industrial engineering and whilst working on his masters degree, he met his co – founder which was working on his PHD at the time. Another friend which was helping Pini to code his masters project (as Pini is not a developer) became the third side of this entrepreneurial triangle. They decided to start working in the world of data mining, which was the only thing they felt they could actually start building a company in.
Pini found that the world of entrepreneurship contains entrepreneurs on a spectrum – analytic entrepreneurs and passion entrepreneurs. The analytic entrepreneur always tries to calculate every risk and predict every possible situation to the point of being too afraid of actually making a move. The passionate entrepreneur tends to be in love with an idea, sometimes to the point of losing the grip of reality. One must always be careful not to get too close to the ends of this spectrum, as this turns the job of building a business into an impossible task, or a very risky adventure.
Pini gave us some important tips about building a business:
1. The first is a productivity rule – keep the 2 minute rule. If you have something to do which should take 2 minutes or less, try to get it done immediately.
2. Build a “kit” of things you do when working on a specific type of task. For example, if you’re making coffee, have “washing the spoon” as a part of the task. This is how you avoid having lots of dishes in the sink…
3. Be obsessed about your business. Pini talks to people to arrange his thoughts and get feedbacks all the time. He also got scenarios running in his head while he walks his dog or takes a shower. This is why he feels many times he is ahead of other people he talks to or negotiates with.
4. Talk to a lot of people, learn as much as you can from others, everybody you talk to may contribute a new insight or a point of view.
5. Get at least one strong sales person on the team. Without one, it’s going to be very difficult to build something great, because you always need someone to explain the idea, no matter how great it is.
Optimove is currently located in Tel Aviv, Israel, has over 40 team members and as they are growing rapidly, they are looking for marketing people, sales people and technical people.